Earlier this week, New York Governor Andrew Cuomo delivered his State of the State Address. This annual speech lays out the Governor’s priorities for the year and provides a framework for the issues that will be debated in Albany over the next several months. Our members were on hand and out in force, and were acknowledged in the Governor’s opening remarks along with our partners in the labor movement.
The Governor’s 2020 agenda, Making Progress Happen, includes a number of ambitious economic development projects that should deliver opportunities for our members. Some of the big ticket items include:
• $14 million to build a new mid-station lodge at Whiteface
• $9.4 million to upgrade Lake George Wastewater Treatment Plant
• Second Round of funding for Upstate Airport Revitalization (first round was $200 million)
• $10 million to help transform Buffalo’s North Aud Block
• $9 million to help build a year-round indoor drone research facility in Rome, NY
• A comprehensive education and workforce STEM training center in Syracuse
• Incentivizing businesses to move into downtown Rochester through the use of ESD Grant and Excelsior Tax Credits
• $100 million in economic development investments to communities along the Erie Canal. Projects include:
o Brockport loop connecting SUNY to Empire State trail land
o Canalside pocket neighborhood to be built in Canastota
o Renovation of Guy Park Manor and construction of a pedestrian bridge in Amsterdam
The next step will be the presentation of the Governor’s Executive Budget later this month, which will start to lay out the details of how the state will pay for all of these ideas. We will be following all of these developments very closely in the days and weeks ahead, and we will keep member in New York informed as we move forward.